Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Honey Bun Cake

A friend of mine from college got this off of AllRecipes.com, and then she blogged about it. So then I made it, and now I am blogging about it. It is good! It is also relatively healthy because of the applesauce and egg whites. (Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 piece) equals 185 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.)

I have to confess that I made this last night, and I DID NOT have the applesauce, so I substituted unhealthy oil for it. haha Oh well. So, I put 1/3 c of canola oil. Also, after already not using the healthy fat, I went ahead and put 3 eggs instead of the 4 egg whites. SOOOOOO mine wasn't healthy. But either way, it is GOOD! :)

Ingredients:
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow or whitecake mix
4 egg whites
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

For Filling:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

For Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

*By the way, I used a bundt pan. I think this is the kind of cake that is perfect in that pan, but I'm sure you can use whatever.

Directions:1. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, egg whites, sour cream and applesauce. Beat on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.2. Pour HALF into a greased 9 x 13 or bundt pan. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Cover with remaining batter; cut through with a knife to swirl. Bake at 325 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (If using bundt pan, bake for 40-45 minutes). Cool on a wire rack. Flip over onto serving dish.3. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over warm cake. Store at room temperature.

No comments: