Friday, March 2, 2007

Semi-Homemade Yummy Lemon Cake

Ok, so a few days ago I was bored, didn't want to study and felt like baking. Except we didn't have much. Since I've inherited much of the pantry from when Jared lived here alone I went on a hunt. I found a lemon cake mix, which frankly I wasn't too excited about because I'm a chocolate girl, but decided I could live with it if I added some goodies. I searched the fridge and found the ingredients to make a lemon buttercream icing and it was wonderful. Jared has been asking for seconds all week. So next time you need an easy cake think of this!
-Allison

Cake:

Lemon Box Cake
Just make it.

Frosting:

2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest

Beat butter with an electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and add confectioners sugar, lemon juice, extract, and zest, then mix until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes.

Make sure cake is completely cooled before you frost it.

I think this would also be great as a layer cake with lemon curd in the middle!

No comments: